Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring top week

I initially decided not to enter Rae's spring top week because I couldn't think of a top I wanted to make. There are half a dozen or so dresses floating around in my head waiting to take form in the physical world. Tops? not so much.

After seeing so many other tops emerging over blog-dom though, I just had to join in.
Sill, I faced the problem of what to make. Setting out on a new design is like a puzzle. No, a scavenger hunt. You have to take it one piece at a time.


The loosely ruffled ruffled collar came to mind first, then I decided I needed a print that was sort of juvenile and a little bit retro feeling. I found this piece in my stash. I picked it up years ago, one lonely yard on the dollar table at Wal*Mart. I complimented it with rusty red linen and had myself a concept to work with.


I really wanted a flouncy skirt on this. Something long enough to wear with leggings, but with only one yard to work with I had to edit.
The skirt shortened and narrowed, the collar had to be pieced together, but ruffled just right in the end and soon (Just in time for date night!) I had something to enter in the contest.


That is how I arrived at this top.

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this top...so pretty and girly. I have my spring tops done and dusted, in my head :( I just have to make them now.

I reckon yours has a shot

Unknown said...

The ruffle collar/contrast binding/ bow detail are KILLING me. It's a lovely lovely top. (Oh and HI, great blog!)
x
Erin

I BLEED PINK said...

This has to be the cutest top...the ruffle and the darling little belt. I've fallen in love.

Ali said...

Found you via WR -- love this! Great colors (I first wrote "collar" - that, too!).

Alisa said...

It's a cute top!

Audrea Ratliff said...

I LOVE this top! Very cute :) The bow is one of my fave parts on it. Super super cute!!

AL said...

Love this!

rachel @ idlepines said...

Saw your top on WR: it is just beautiful, the lovely fabric with the red trim and ruffly collar: it is just gorgeous! and from a yard too. Delightful.

Kateka said...

Oh! I hope you win? Can we vote for you or something?

Jessica said...

I love this!! So cute and so much detail. You should make a tutorial for it. I'd love to try one.

Great job!

Tracey said...

Please make a tut or a pattern for your shirt. I would purchase your pattern for the shirt in a heartbeat. I LOVE this shirt, maybe even border on obsessed with this shirt!!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Simply lovely. Such a great top.

I have a weekly Thursday blog party especially for people to share things they've made to be worn. Stop by if you'd like!

Eva said...

Thanks, for your kind comments everyone!
I've been thinking about writing a tutorial for this. I'm planning to make a dress with a similar collar so I might just do the collar tut.
Anybody want to weigh in on that?

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

This is so great! I just came from your site from Made by Rae's flickr pool. Are you a finalist? You did great!

Agnes said...

Beautiful! I Love this!

Lonestarcasie said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! This is so stinking cute. Lovely!