Thursday, January 8, 2009

Babies

I am not so much a baby person. Don't get me wrong, I like babies. There are a lot of babies I love, even. My own, for example.
What I mean to say is, I am not the type of girl whose arms ache with yearning any time there is a baby in the room. I like to smile at babies I happen to meet. That's usually enough for me.
Once at a family function it was decided by the general population of the hallway where I stood that I should hold the baby of a cousin.
The child was handed to me and I stood there. Holding it. Trying not to make it painfully obvious to the baby's mother that I actually had no interest in her darling boy. It was all terribly awkward.
That being said, if that cousin had needed someone to hold her boy while she attended to some necessary task, or just to give her a break, I would have been happy to help. The part that was the problem was the assumption that I wanted to hold the child for no other reason than my own delight when I took no such thing from the situation.
This is why I do not offer to "let" people hold my babies. I assume that if a person wants to hold the baby, they'll ask.
Now that I've told you all about my stone heart, let me introduce you to someone.
This is my nephew.

I think he was afraid of my camera.

See, now it's getting better, he closed his little mouth. He looks happier, right?

Anyway, back to the story. When I saw him, for the first time since July, on Christmas Eve it was all I could do to keep my hands to myself.
Lucky for me there were plenty of people around who wanted to hold my bitsy little babe so I was free to squish his sweet fatness to my hearts content. It's a good thing I got that squishing in because by the time I get back up to Utah he'll be big enough to protest.
In the mean time I'll keep working on my New One's squishability. I've always wanted a fat baby, maybe if I feed her enough she'll make that dream come true for me.

4 comments:

Amelia said...

Whew... I was sitting here reading your post and cringing because I was sure you were talking about my rolly polly baby in code. Until I scrolled down to read more.... I am so glad that you were not annoyed by holding him. He is very squishy and I have to say I enjoy cuddling his squishiness. We sure miss you and I am so glad that we got to see you and your cute family and that you got to meet baby Bubbo.

Melissa M. said...

What a darling little man!
I love the absolute look of fear in the 2nd picture.

Faasuamanu and Melinda Toilolo said...

man all these years I thought I was the only one that felt like that.. the only babe I want to hold all the time is my very own!! i TOTALLY Understand!! PS thanks for the happy birthday wish.. You are so sweet. I just love your guts!

Tazia said...

I would have to agree, I am not one of those people either. Which always made me feel like I was insensitive or mean because I wasn't dieing to hold the baby in the room. And it doesn't mean that I don't love the baby just that, when I'm done holding the baby I feel very awkward handing it back to the parent, so I just like to avoid that situation all together, I would almost just rather look at the baby while someone else holds it. So if we are heartless, I guess that makes the 2 of us.